I was looking for a fun recipe which utilized ground almonds as a primary ingredient in brownies. I made a batch of these for Valentines and they were so lovely, rich, and EASY to make. It’s nice to taste something with a dose of protein in it as well. Here’s the original recipe along with my adaptions below. [Note: this is a great gluten-free recipe too!]
I added some extra chocolate, and they were fab, I think the sugar could have been reduced a bit too, pretty easy and yummy!
- 50g/2oz dark chocolate (Optional: I added some additional chocolate to the batter mix just before putting in the oven!)
- 100g/3½oz butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, preferably free-range, lightly whisked
- 1-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 75g/3oz ground almonds
- 1-2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- pinch of salt
- (Optional) 110g/4oz chopped walnuts
- 20cm/8in square tin, lined with silicone paper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water or in a low oven.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale, soft and light, then beat in the lightly whisked eggs, the vanilla extract and melted chocolate. Lastly stir in the ground almonds, gluten-free baking powder, salt and chopped nuts. Spread the mixture in the tin and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then cut into 5cm/2in squares for serving.
Serve alongside home-made whipped cream and raspberries for a quality dessert to impress!